September 30, 2010

Fabric Dyeing - Week Three, Part One

When the stuff I had to rinse at home dries, I'll get some pictures for you.  I'm also waiting for Margie to email out her pictures.  In the meantime, here are the ones I got.  Unfortunately, they're not quite as good as in weeks past.

Today's natural dye was avocado skins, which make a very BLEH beigey color.  The new techniques we learned were Shibori dyeing and gradient dyeing.  My Shibori didn't come out very well; I didn't have the patience to do the detail work.  The gradient dyeing was really cool.  (KNITTERS:  Think Noro on fabric.)  I think that when I overdye some of the stuff I'm not happy with, I'll probably do some gradient dyeing and see how that works with the color already on there.

9-30 Last Week's Show 1 9-30 Last Week's Show 2 9-30 Carol's Japanese Shibori Pieces 9-30 More Indigo 9-30 This Week's Indigo 9-30 This Week's Indigo 2 9-30 Gradient 1 9-30 Gradient 2 9-30 Gradient 3

Next week, we will do some acid dyeing (a different kind of chemical dye).  The indigo pot is still going strong, so anyone who wants to can do more indigo dyeing.  I'm considering overdyeing a pair of Hubby's faded blue 501's; whatchathink?  We will also start doing some screen printing.  Woot!

As soon as I get pictures from Margie, I'll post them.

BTW, Joy-Lily, our teacher, is not just some lady from down the street with nothing to do.  She has published a magazine article on gradient dyeing and has a book in the works.  She teaches classes and workshops all over the place, and has even been on TV!

No comments:

Post a Comment