April 5, 2011

We Made a Niddy Noddy!

I found some great instructions on The Anticraft yesterday, and tonight Hubby & I hit Lowe's.  For under $5 (including tax), we got all the supplies necessary to make a niddy noddy that can measure either one-yard or two-yard skeins (show in the one-yard size).  We used not quite three feet of the 10-foot length of PVC tubing we bought, so if I decide I want to make larger skeins, we can cut off another piece.

Niddy Noddy 1

What do you DO with a niddy noddy?  You take yarn you've spun (or, for that matter, a partial skein of some other yarn that you want to measure), wind it around as you see here, measuring it as you go.  With a one-yard niddy-noddy, one time around is a yard, so if you count as you go, you know how much yarn you've got.  Pretty cool, eh?

So.  According to my niddy noddy, the pound of charcoal grey BFL I bought in 2008 from The Yarn Tree yielded roughly 167 yards of two-ply yarn.

BFL Handspun

Hubby said it was "interesting looking".  I said, "Yes, it's rather rustic", which cracked him up.  Hey, I've only been doing this for a couple of months.  I expect to be spinning stuff only a mother could love.  After all, how good was my knitting a couple of months after I started knitting?  (Honestly, I'd pay people not to wear those scarves or that poncho!)  I'll make something funky out of it, though, and even if it looks like barf, it will be special because it was my first real handspun.

Oh, and for future reference:  Apparently, husbands don't appreciate being seen with wives who skip through Lowe's, no matter HOW excited said wives are to be getting a niddy noddy.  Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment