January 19, 2013

Amazing (Ongoing) Journey

I'm a couple of days late, but it still bears mentioning:

Four years ago, I "hit bottom" as they say in 12-step/recovery circles, got desperate, and started a journey to conquer my food addiction. Weighing in at a whopping 198.5 pounds - my highest non-pregnant, non-post-partum weight -  I attended my first recovery meeting on Saturday, January 17, 2009, and I never looked back.

In some ways, the journey has been a breeze.  In other ways, it's been ridiculously hard.  Without a doubt, it's been worthwhile, and I wouldn't change a thing about it.

I reached my goal after eight or nine months, then kept on losing because my body knew better than I did what a healthy weight for me really was.  My weight has now been stable for about three years.  If you don't have "food issues", this might sound like no big deal, but if you do, you understand how huge it is.  For the first time in my adult life, I've remained the same clothing size long enough for jeans to wear out due to age and normal wear and tear, not from split seams and other "too much body into to little fabric" strains.

Why do I keep the weight loss tracker in the sidebar of the blog if I'm no longer trying to lose weight?  Well, for two reasons:  to remind me where I came from, and for a little extra accountability.

So, a couple of days late, I celebrate four years of recovery.  Here I give you my "before" picture, taken of Thing One and me on January 12, 2009.


No comments:

Post a Comment