July 16, 2014

Polite Quasi-Rant

Dear Madame Job Coach at [name withheld] Where I Bought Groceries Yesterday,

I'm sorry that you weren't having a great day yesterday.  Every job has its boring/onerous/aggravating/crazy-making moments, including yours.  Just in case you didn't quite catch what I was trying to say to you while I was in the checkout line, I thought I'd expand on it today:

Thank you for doing your job.  Yes, the young man you were supervising used "too many bags" for my items.  So what?  I had plenty, and I really didn't mind (the smile on my face the whole time I was in line should have given you a hint of this).  In the grand scheme of life or even the smaller moment of my day, it doesn't matter, especially since I had so many.  Perhaps I caught you at a bad moment, but your apparent attitude about your job concerned me.  Please take a step back and remember how important your job is.  That young man may or may not have been in an appropriate job for him; I really don't know.  He was, however, at a job, trying to become an independent, contributing member of society.  That is a big deal.   On top of that, he appeared to be enjoying what he was doing.  The cashier certainly didn't seem to mind his being there.  As I told you, I am old enough to remember a time when there were no job coaches for special needs teens and adults.  In those days, that young man might have had to stay dependent on others his whole life.  With your program, he has a much greater chance of becoming independent, able to fend for himself, as do many of my friends' kids.  What you do is important.  It is a good thing.  Please remember that.  I hope your day today is as bright and happy as your yellow blouse was yesterday.  I will remember you as I eat my blueberries, and I'll pray that young man finds exactly the right job.

Sincerely,

The Lady in The White Baseball Cap

No comments:

Post a Comment