March 24, 2017

Gee, where did Erica GO?

Short answer?  I went back to the 9-5 office world mid-February and haven't really had much time for blogging or knitting (I wouldn't be posting today except I have the day off).

First Day Jitters!


Longer Answer:  After many conversations, much personal wrestling, and attending a resume workshop, I accepted the fact that it was time for me to suck it up and go back to work, even though I wanted to wait till Abby was done with high school.  The agency I'm using thought it would be good for me to complete some temporary assignments before they tried to submit me for a permanent position somewhere, so after just one interview, I got placed for a longer temp job at...the California Teachers Association (teachers' union) headquarters, of all places.  NO, it's not temp-to-perm, just temp, but that's OK.

You know that feeling when you're the new guy in your office who doesn't know anything or anyone and has to ask a million questions all the time?  OK, multiply that by about 15, and you've got what my first week or so on the job felt like.  For perspective on how long it's been since I worked in an office:  When I did, there was no Google.  That first week was hard on my confidence, but mostly because I had unreasonable expectations of myself.

The hours are great.  Since it's so close to home, I don't have to leave the house till 8:30, which means I still get up at 6:00 and have my slow morning.  I can make sure Andrew and Abby get out the door OK, finsh making my lunch. get dinner set up in the Instant Pot if need be, and do the daily financial update without having to rush.  It took a bit to get used to having to stop at the store on the way home from work (no more 1:30 trips to Trader Joe's!) a couple of times a week and eating dinner later (no more eating right at 5:00!), but I seem to have gotten the hang of it.

The other humans in the house have had no trouble adjusting.  The DOG, however, is having a very hard time with it.  Luckily, Sarah leaves later than I do, and Andrew and Abby get home before I do, so that reduces the amount of time she has to be crated.  Nobody enjoys cleaning up anxiety dog pee, for sure.

Enough for today.  Tomorrow or Sunday, I'll finally post about Stitches. (Yes, I did take time off work to go.  Priorities!)

No comments:

Post a Comment