June 13, 2014

Wine and Wool

Last Saturday, Andrew was - once AGAIN - a great sport and accompanied me out to Livermore for the annual "Fleeces, Food, and Fun" event at Retzlaff Vineyards.  We were lucky that it only hit 88F, as the weather forecast I saw that morning had predicted a high of 94F.  Yikes!

Though we didn't last all the way till the 4:00 close of the event, we arrived right at 10:00 and made it through till after the big 2:00 raffle (which was handled with even greater efficiency than last year - props to the spinning guild who ran it).  I was terribly proud of myself for not buying anything other than raffle tickets.

Really enjoyed getting to hang out with "the cool kids" - Jasmin and Gigi, Doctor Gemma (aka My Biggest Fan), ONE of The Two KnitLit Chicks, my adorable fangirl Ria, and KnottyJen, though WE MISSED YOU, ERIN, RABBI ABBY, AND AUNTIE LAURA!


Retzlaff
Spinning in the sun, whilst slathered with
SPF 50 sunscreen happened.


Retzlaff - Andrew
Gigi convinced Andrew to try out spinning
on her Turkish spindle.  Besides being a well-raised,
polite kinda good sport, I think he was intrigued
by the unusual spindle.
Plus, he enjoyed getting to show off that
he knew terms like "draft"


Retzlaff - Winner Winner Chicken Dinner
I actually WON A RAFFLE PRIZE!
(It's 7.2oz of wool, angora, cashmere, and silk,
presented in an old-fashioned milk bottle crate.)


And...Andrew filmed me spinning.  I've been told that I'm "a fast treadler", but it doesn't feel fast when I'm doing it.  Seeing the bobbin go around in the film, it seems faster.  Kinda like it; it makes it look more impressive, eh?




Yupp, another successful fiber event!  Maybe once I whittle down my stash a bit...a LOT (STOP LAUGHING, PEOPLE!  I MEAN IT!), I'll be able to splurge on a giant bag of undyed pin-drafted roving from Morro Fleece Works when I'm there.  Hey, it could happen!  After all, just THINK of the MANY hours of entertainment value I'd get out of several pounds of fiber:

  • spinning it
  • plying it
  • dyeing it
  • knitting it
Really, when you think about it, it's a really great investment, right?  RIGHT?  Of course, right!  

No comments:

Post a Comment